EPILEPSY – AN UNKNOWN QUANTITY IN EUROPE PREVALENCE & COSTS OF EPILEPSY
A Workshop hosted by Gay Mitchell MEP EEP
Date: Tuesday 19 February 2013
Room: ASP 5E3
Time: 14:00 – 15:00
Speakers: Dr Christine Linehan (Ireland) : Prof Torbjörn Tomson (Sweden)
- Across three decades, 76 studies on epilepsy prevalence were completed in 21 countries.
- Nearly half of all studies were undertaken in just three countries.
- Many are regional – national data are rare.
- Large areas of Europe are unrepresented.
- Definitions and estimates vary widely.
So, what needs to be done to find the right answers?
Over the last 30 years, at least 76 studies on the prevalence of epilepsy in European countries have been undertaken. Yet, because they present conflicting data, which are likely a consequence of methodological differences and shortcomings, there are still no accurate data on actual prevalence rates. The prevalence and costs of epilepsy in Europe is a field with major knowledge gaps, which should be addressed urgently.
Obtaining reliable information on this issue is essential for rational allocation of resources to ensure both adequate and cost-effective epilepsy care across Europe. Without this knowledge, national health authorities will struggle to establish the needs of their citizens.
The workshop is one of a series of events happening in the European Parliament on 19th and 20th February, to mark European Epilepsy Day 2013.
European Epilepsy Day aims to highlight that:
- epilepsy still remains a hidden disease due to the stigma attached;
- it is treatable, yet 40% of the estimated 6 million people with epilepsy in Europe do not receive appropriate treatment;
- lack of treatment imposes a huge financial burden on national health systemsresearch and legislation remain key issues in improving the quality of life of persons with epilepsy.
Organised by the International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE) and the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE).
IBE (founded 1961) is an international umbrella organisation of national patient epilepsy associations. ILAE (founded 1909) is an international association of healthcare professionals in the area of epilepsy.
Information contact: Ann Little, Executive Director, International Bureau for Epilepsy, 11 Priory Hall, Blackrock, Co Dublin, Ireland. E: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: www.ibe-epilepsy.org.